Wednesday 7 March 2007

What's The Excuse Today?

It seems that almost everyday that I travel I encounter a new reason for a delay by a Train Operating Company (TOC). On Wednesday 28th February 2007 I struggled to make out the mumbled announcement that the guard or 'Train Manager' made. But having deciphered it, it was staggering. Whilst at Bristol Parkway on the 0755 ex Cardiff Central bound for London Paddington "A driver on the preceding train has reported seeing a cow in the Chipping Sodbury tunnel. We will be diverted via Bath Spa and Chippenham adding 20 minutes to the journey time." That rather ambitious 20 minute delay quickly turned into a 45 minute delay in arriving at London Paddington after following the 0830 from Bristol Temple Meads to Paddington all the way. Returning home that same day on the 1545 from Paddington to Cardiff I arrived into (Cardiff) Central 25 minutes late after slow running. I crossed platforms to await my local connection home, when the 1615 from Paddington pulled in early directly behind my train. I could have sat in London for 30 minutes more over a coffee, and arrived in Cardiff after a journey 1 hour and 55 minutes instead of the one I had of nearly 2 hours and 30 minutes. All in all I wasn't at all pleased that day, especially when facing the grim prospect of having to do it all again tomorrow to meet a relative for lunch. J.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you want to complain about First Great Western or any other train company, please visit http://www.railvoice.co.uk You can then post complete details of your complaint and it will be forwarded to the appropriate railway company.